The desire of serenity, power and optimism inspires the palette of the Autumn 2016 Fashion Colours, being the shades of Blue the main focus. There also appear lush vibrant touches of colour in all the collections, along with the earthy tones. Energetic colours that, unexpectedly, go beyond the fabric to act as a counterpoint in organised looks based on autumn tones.
“Blue skies represent constancy as they are always above us. Grays give a feeling of stability, Red tones invite to confidence and warmth, while the hot Pinkish Purples and spicy Mustard Yellows suggest a touch of the exotic”, states Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute™.
1. RIVERSIDE Highlighting the importance of blue in the palette of autumn 2016, the new Blue shade undeniably takes precedence in the autumn collections. Cool and calming, strong and stable; this colour displays a subtle vibrancy and sophistication that borders on exciting, yet maintaining a sense of constancy. No one can resist it as it became clear in the proposals of Lacoste, Gucci, Rebecca Minkoff, Lela Rose, Don O’Neill of Theia, Angela Taylor George of Alice & Trixie, Maria Patmos of M. Patmos, H&M, Ellery, Issey Miyake, Rag & Bone, Trussardi, Sonia Rykiel, Michael Kors, Chanel, Jenny Packham and Luisa Beccaria.
2. AIRY BLUE Airy Blue’s lofty nature evokes feelings of lightness and freedom. Designers are seeking weightlessness in a world heavy with conflict betting on blue tones. This Airy Blue stands out among the Autumn 2016 Fashion Colours and is capable of transmitting serenity. You’ll pair it with Lush Meadow, Taupe or Dusty Cedar for a fresh approach. Oscar de la Renta, Nicole Miller, Noon by Noor, Yoana Baraschi, Sonia Rykiel, Céline and MSGM, among others, materialise their designs using this tone.
3. SHARKSKIN Despite having a sharp edge, this sharkskin tone manages to remain neutral. Combinable with almost any autumn colour, bright or muted; this Grey showcases practicality through a dependable but contemporary lens. A versatility that characterised the collections of Marissa Webb, Taoray Wang, Nicholas K, Bree Telford of QUINN, Christopher Kane and Creatures of the Wind, among others.
4. AURORA RED In contrast to the stable backbone of the Autumn 2016 Fashion Colours, this Aurora Red adds a welcome punch. A bold Red that is warm, sensual and immediately pleasing to the eye; that gets the metaphorical blood of the palette pumping. Exciting and dynamic, breeds unmistakable confidence as it’s evident in the proposals of Opening Ceremony (bag), Christian Siriano, Bibhu Mohapatra, Moschino, Haider Ackermann, Akris, Derek Lam, Alexis Mabille, Elie Saab, Saint Laurent, Marchesa, …
5. WARM TAUPE A warm brown grey that, like almost all the neutral tones, is hearty, pleasing and approachable. It pairs well with each of the top 10 shades of the Autumn 2016 Fashion Colours. This taupe tone suggests reassurance and stability. Trust, love for the organic and the earth; it slightly departs from the foundations of the autumn 2016 palette to remain timeless. Alexander McQueen, Jonathan Simkhai, Zimmerman (hat), Iris von Arnim, Derek Lam, Céline, Karen Walker, Ermanno Scervino, Prabal Gurung, Chanel, Balenciaga and Nina Ricci bet on it.
6. DUSTY CEDAR Like Airy Blue, Dusty Cedar gives a nod to the Colour of the Year 2016, Rose Quartz. An autumn and winter version of the Pinks, that we’re used to see in spring, despite being difficult to combine, exudes warmth and welcome. It coloured the designs of Aigner (bag and gloves), Concept Korea, Canali, Rachel Pally, Issey Miyake, Luisa Beccaria, Miu Miu, Elie Saab, Missoni and Salvatore Ferragamo, among others.
7. LUSH MEADOW It brings to mind fresh botanicals and lush foliage. Rich and elegant, vibrant and sophisticated, this shade displays a brightness, panache and depth of colour that elevates it from more natural greens. It elevates the overall elegance of woven through this season’s collections of Elie Saab (gloves), Jay Godfrey, Les Hommes, Tadashi Shoji, Iceberg, Tory Burch, Martin Grant, Roland Mouret and Monique Lhuillier.
8. SPICY MUSTARD Elegantly bouncing off other colours in the palette of Autumn 2016 Fashion Colours, this Spicy Mustard is an exotic addition. A spicier, zestier Yellow than previous seasons, unexpected and unusual, that adds another splash of uplifting vibrancy. A shade that comes through in both the abstract and geometric accents that designers employed, and that leaves a mark in Moschino (rucksack), Sophie Theallet, Charles Borg and Ron van Maarschalkerweerd of Charles & Ron, Arthur Arbesser, Emilio Pucci, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Roberto Cavalli, Jenny Packham, Rodarte, Sportmax, Acne Studios, Creatures of the Wind and Marc Jacobs, among others.
9. POTTER’S CLAY This shade that brings in mind the potter’s clay has an added degree of sophistication and layering. With elements of russet Orange in its undertones, it gives a grounded feeling that’s anything but flat. A neutral earth tone expected for autumn and winter palette that possess a real substance and a strong foundation. It has been seen in the collections of Daks (suede), Aspinal London (bag), Tibi, Katherine Kung, Vanessa Seward, Akris, Lacoste, Anna Sui, Givenchy, DKNY, Isabel Marant, Trussardi and 3.1 Phillip Lim, among others.
10. BODACIOUS This shade speaks to the gender fluidity that we continue to see. It lends itself to vibrant colour combinations, which are unexpected in autumn. Versatile, it can be used with Pinks and Reds; and bright, this rich Purple with hints of a more sophisticated Pink get to turn fashion accents into fashion statements. Lie Sang Bong, Rubin Singer, Karen Walker, Lacoste, Oscar de la Renta, Chanel, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Kenzo, Marques Almeida and Saint Laurent are just some of the designers that are up for this flashy colour.
After discovering the trendy shades for autumn-winter 2016/2017, you just have to select those that best adapt to your personal style and preferences. Are you ready to bring colour to your winter wardrobe?