On the 70th anniversary since its emergence, the bikini, the favourite swimwear for the majority of women, celebrates its anniversary bearing more than ever an air of provocative retro style. A basic piece during summer season which was presented to the public five days after some nuclear tests performed by the United States in the Marshall Islands (Pacific). The bikini was inspired by the name of the Bikini Atoll.
Despite its existence since the Roman period, it was only in 1946 when the French automobile engineer, Louis Reard, presented to the public a tiny piece for swimming, consisting of two triangles over the breasts and another one under the waist. An absolute sensation that erected the bikini as the symbol of women’s liberation. Its use was spread around the world after overcoming the initial reluctance at the time.
1. CHARMING MIDKINI – Vintage winds blow over the swimwear fashion with pieces that emphasize on high waists inspired by retro lines from the 50s. A very adaptable option that reminds us of the sexy Marilyn Monroe, and that is presented as an excellent option to dissimulate those few extra kilos thanks to its high-waist bottom.
Whether combined with bustier-shape, triangle, bandeau or even asymmetric tops, this trend seems perfect to stress the delicate form of the waist and hips, reminding us of the sexy pin-up girls. An alternative that usually reduces the waist and visually extends the legs.
NORMA SWIMWEAR Isabel Crisscross Top and High-Waist Cut Out Bottom Swimsuit, 245 € – EMILIO PUCCI Printed bandeau, 188 € – MOSCHINO Bikini with Printed Flowers and Cones, 240 € – DOLCE & GABBANA Printed Underwired, 267 €
2. CUT OUT – A trend that jumped from “Prêt-à-Porter” to the swimwear following the less-is-more key principle when it’s time to show the skin. These cuts, strategically situated, are capable of sharpening your waist, reducing your hips, diminishing your bust or, on the contrary, making it more voluptuous. This is the best option to show your skin, because it’s covered enough and emphasizes the necessary.
3. A QUESTION OF ASYMMETRY – A new trend in swimwear focuses on showing just one shoulder in order to project the sexiest face of the bikini. These kind of bikini raises as the most sophisticated option: cut out top in Dolores Cortés, crossed in Caffe Swimwear, or around the neck as if it were a necklace in Belusso. Nevertheless, if you’re looking for a uniform suntan, you shouldn’t be exposed to the sun for much time.
LISA MARIE FERNANDEZ Arden Black Ruffled One-shoulder, 479.82 € – KIINI Tasmin Crochet-trimmed, 175 € and Crochet-trimmed Briefs, 140 € – MARYSIA Santa Barbara Sporty Papaya, 280 € – MOEVA LONDON June, 270 €
4. BEAUTIFUL RUFFLES – Ruffled bikinis that bring us southern airs and sometimes remind us of the so in-vogue flamenco style. Their main characteristics are sweetness, floral designs and pastel shades that will dress you with femininity and romantic girly style. They’re perfect if you want to add volume wherever it’s needed or to hide imperfections, both in the upper and lower parts, but never at the same time.
BEAUTIFUL RUFFLES: AGUA DE COCO – TORI PRAVER – AMIR SLAMA
LISA MARIE FERNANDEZ Mira Black Ruffled, 486.39 € – MARA HOFFMAN Ruffle Bandeau Aloe, 170 € – ZIMMERMANN Floral Frill, 265 € – POLO RALPH LAUREN Ruffled, 140.65 €.
5. BONDAGE INSPIRATION – As a consequence of the undeniable success of Fifty Shades of Grey, there comes the most extreme bikinis. Strips, bands, strings and leather intertwine ingeniously in the purest bondage style with bright colours in monochromatic versions to smooth their “dominatrix” influence.
ZIMMERMANN Henna T-Bar Mesh-trimmed, 208 € – LA PERLA Anchor Bra, 750 € and Bikini Bottom, 350 € – HERVÉ LÉGER Off-the-shoulder Cut Out Bandage, 640 € – L’AGENT BY AGENT PROVOCATEUR Cee-Cee Top Black, 145 € and Bottom Black, 145 €.
Images courtesy of livingly.com and the mentioned firms.
Traducción: Paloma Sánchez Iglesias